Have you ever thought of how big the movie industry is? Or who is the highest paid actor in the world?
While companies like Netflix or Amazon Prime Video are increasing competitiveness around the film industry, consumers are happy.
We all love to lay down after a long day and spend the rest of the night watching our favorite movie.
Movies not only helps to spend our free time but are also very important for lots of businesses.
In this article, you’ll learn 19 movie industry statistics and facts you need to know in 2020. From highest-grossing movie to future industry growth predictions on the global economy, we’ve got you covered.
General Movie Industry Statistics
1. By the end of 2019, the global cinema revenue was worth $45.1 billion, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
2. In 2019, movie industry market size in the United States was $11.4 billion. However, during 2020, the global virus pandemic had a massive impact on the industry. It is predicted that it will be down by 65.7% from $11.4 billion to $3.9 billion this year.
3. Avengers: Endgame is the highest-grossing movie of all time with a revenue of $2.79 billion. The second is Avatar with a revenue of $2.789 billion.
4. There are more than 700 movies released each year in North America alone. If you think that’s a lot, compare it to 1,500-2,000 movies released in India each year.
5. Bollywood, India’s movie industry is making more films than both the U.S. and China. In 2012, Bollywood sold 2.6 billion cinema seats, compared to Hollywood’s 1.36 billion tickets.
6. The top 10 movie industries in the world are:
- Hollywood ($11.1 billion)
- Cinema of China ($9.15 billion)
- Bollywood ($2.26 billion)
- Cinema of Japan (Nihon Eiga) ($2.39 billion)
- United Kingdom ($1.7 billion)
- South Korean Cinema ($1.6 billion)
- France ($1.5 billion)
- Germany ($1.1 billion)
- Russia ($1 billion)
- Australia ($0.95 billion)
7. 10.5% of film directors are female to this day and the number is increasing.
8. The most Oscars won by a single movie is 11. There are 3 movies that are achieved this honorable result:
- Ben Hur (1959) – 12 nominations.
- Titanic (1997) – 14 nominations.
- The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King (2003) – 11 nominations.
9. An average film released in cinemas had employed a crew of 276 people. This includes pre-production, shooting and post-production. Interestingly, the number of crew members working on average movie has increased by 51% since 2000.
10. January and February are called dump months – period when audiences are usually the busiest, keeping themselves away from the theaters. As a result, studios will spend this time “dumping” the movies that have been deemed lesser. The second dump months period is August and September.
Cinema Theatre Statistics: Consumers, Ticket Sales & Attendance
11. There were 1.3 billion movie tickets sold in the U.S. and Canada in 2018. However, we can see from the chart that movie ticket sales each year are dropping. Movie theaters have growing competition from video streaming services since many people prefer watching new movie releases at home.
Movie ticket sales at the North American box office since 2001
12. AMC Theatres have a total of 8043 screens making it the leading cinema circuit in the United States and Canada. In 2019, the total attendance at AMC movie theatres was 356 million.
13. There are 16,586 digital 3D cinema screens in North America.
14. The majority of the U.S. movie theater audience are adults aged between 25 and 39 years old.
15. According to a study, 14% of adults goes to a cinema to watch a movie once or more times a month. 46% adults visits movie theater once a year or less.
Facts About Movie Actors: Salaries, Awards & Popularity
16. The most paid actor is Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson with an estimated earnings of $87.5 million. His Netflix film “Red Notice” added up a total of $23.5 million to his earnings.
17. The biggest movie star in the world is Shah Rukh Khan. He stared in more than 70 movies and was even making more money than Tom Cruise, according to Forbes.
18. Katharine Hepburn won 4 Oscars throughout her acting career. She is the most successful actress to date when talking about Academy Awards and holds the record for winning the most Oscars.
19. However, Meryl Streepholds the record for the most nominations in the acting categories, with a total of 21. She is also a winner of 3 Oscars.
There you have it—the top 19 film industry statistics you need to know.
The industry was growing rapidly with more and more movies produced each year.
But then 2020 happened.
The main point is clear:
The global pandemic had a massive impact on the global film industry and it will possiblty continue to severely and detrimentally impact the movie industry, affecting movie ticket sales and consumer confidence levels when visiting cinemas in general.
However, we can expect this industry to recover in the next few upcoming years.
Was there any stat that you found particularly surprising? And what did you make of these movie statistics?