What is Panasonic Lumix G7?
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 is a great mid-range mirrorless camera capable of shooting 4K video.
Announced in May 2015, the model is from the company’s mid-range line and offers up-to-date features which makes it a smaller and better alternative to other comparable DSLRs.
It features a simple design and comes wrapped in a solid black or a two-tome black and graphite body. It has a 14-42 mm Lens Kit and can capture 4K ultra-HD videos and 4K photos.
Key Features and Specifications of Panasonic Lumix G7
- High-resolution OLED display panel that can swivel and completely turn around.
- Touch screen which is super responsive and which lets you easily adjust the settings.
- The G7 is rocking a 16-megapixel Micro Four Third Sensor and enjoys access to the widest range of mirrorless lenses.
- The camera comes with a 14 to 42mm lens which is wide enough to use as a blogging lens.
- It also comes with focus tools like focus peaking and zebra allowing you to get a much better focus.
- The silent shooting feature allows 1/16000 and up to seven-frame bracketing. It works incredibly well in low-light and fires bursts up to 8fps at the full resolution.
- The 4K video feature allows you to capture videos in 1080p and grab 8-megapixel photos from the video at 30 fps.
- It has a built-in mic that provides decent sound quality but prone to pick some background noise too. You can connect a shotgun mic for better sound quality. There is no headphone jack and you can only use the onscreen audio monitor to check the levels.
- This camera has built-in Wi-Fi that allows you to control the camera remotely and transfer images to your phone or social networking sites.
Design and Construction
The design of the camera is inspired by SLRs and has a slim body with an easy grip.
The lightweight body packs a lot of value for the price, especially compared to the other competitors.
It measures 3.4 x 4.9 by 3 inches and weighs around 14.6 ounces without a lens.
This camera feels quite solid and dense in hand mainly due to its aluminum exterior. The body is plastic but doesn’t feel too fragile and has a premium finish.
There is a built-in pop-up flash and a dedicated dial to control the different modes which is a plus for professional photographers. The screen fully articulates and flips out for self-shooting, which is very important, and most expensive cameras don’t have this feature.
The LCD touch screen has a resolution of 2,360k dots and adds to the overall navigational pleasure of this camera. There are four knobs and few functions buttons on the camera which provides plenty of control and makes any important setting just a tap away.
Under a secure flap, the G7 features a remote shutter jack, micro-HDMI for 4:2:2 video out as well as an AV out and Digital pit port along with a microphone jack on the left side. It has an external battery charger and supports SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory.
This camera is on our list of the best mirrorless cameras under $500.
The image and video quality are quite impressive for their price range which makes it one of the best budget cameras if you want to shoot 4k videos.
It comes with two lenses and focus and fires in just 0.8 seconds.
The camera performs great in bright light but slows down a bit in dim light conditions. You can quickly change photo modes and can go from single shot to burst mode.
It normally shoots 7 fps, but it has a really interesting feature called “4K Burst”. It goes into 4K mode and start making a video at 24 fps or 30 fps for few seconds and allows you to go through every single frame and pick the photo you want.
It is also great for time-lapse photography and automated exposure bracketing.
This mirrorless camera truly delivers upon the promise of capturing 4K video and capable of shooting 100Mbps 4K footage at 24 or 30 fps.
It also records 1080pat 60 fps, 1080p30 inMP4 format. Which is nice. It allows you to record in different modes as per your requirements.
If you want additional frames, opt for the AVCHD recording but if you don’t need high resolution, you can record MP4 video at 480p30 or 720p30. The G7 can capture some crisp and life-like footage similar to the 4K.
The videos are sharper and more detailed than HD and look really good on different devices.