As the consumption of videos increases rapidly on the internet, choosing where to host your video content for better visibility is a very important decision to make. Users on Vimeo can host, share, and sell videos with the embedded tools provided.
But how it’s different from other video hosting services?
To help you understand how to best optimize your Vimeo strategy and what to expect from the platform, this post carries everything you need to know about Vimeo and how it could be important for your business.
So, without much ado, here are the main statistics and facts about Vimeo that you need to have at the back of your mind.
- 1. How Many Registered Users Does Vimeo Have?
- 2. How Many Video Creators Are There On Vimeo?
- 3. Vimeo Connects Users From More Than 150 Countries
- 4. How Many Vimeo Members Use Premium Creation Tools?
- 5. Vimeo’s Top Referring Site Is Patreon
- 6. Over 9 Million App Installs Extremely Boosted User Session Duration
- 7. Vimeo Is Older Than YouTube
- 8. Vimeo Has Better Video Quality Than Youtube
- 9. Vimeo Does Not Identify Specific Ads
- 10. Main Reasons Why People Decide To Choose Vimeo Over YouTube
- Summary: Vimeo Statistics And Facts
- Learn More
1. How Many Registered Users Does Vimeo Have?
Vimeo may not have over a billion users like YouTube, but the community is steadily growing with over 175 million active members worldwide.
Which is easy to target.
It is stated that Vimeo is a niche community with lots of professionals who have a constructive opinion and prefer higher production value.
2. How Many Video Creators Are There On Vimeo?
Vimeo connects more than 60 million video creators.
They are mostly artists, animators, musicians and filmmakers.
3. Vimeo Connects Users From More Than 150 Countries
Presently, Vimeo has been able to secure users in more than 150 countries around the world. The percentage of Vimeo users from the United States is over 33%, according to statistics from SimilarWeb.
4. How Many Vimeo Members Use Premium Creation Tools?
In 2021, there is a total of 1.5 million paying subscribers that are using Vimeo premium video creation tools, according to Statista.
This easy-to-use tool allows its users to create video from stock videos, photos or your own footage.
5. Vimeo’s Top Referring Site Is Patreon
11.04% of total Vimeo viewers come from referral sites. Patreon is its’ top referring site with a referral user percentage of 8.34%.
Another 3.08% come from Github while the percentage of all others is 1% or less.
6. Over 9 Million App Installs Extremely Boosted User Session Duration
There are 9 million Vimeo app installs on Google Play which boosted average session duration by 130%. It was a very clever move for the platform since more and more users choose to watch videos on mobile devices instead of desktop.
7. Vimeo Is Older Than YouTube
Most people definitely do not know that Vimeo existed before YouTube. YouTube was launched in February 2005 while Vimeo was launched in 2004.
According to Josh Abramson who works at Vimeo, he said on Quora that YouTube became successful because it was able to host much content than Vimeo could do.
8. Vimeo Has Better Video Quality Than Youtube
A video quality test by MEDIUM demonstrated that the same screencast, uploaded on both platforms, had different video quality.
Unfortunately for Youtube, the comparison showed that Vimeo held a better quality version of the video. On the latter video hosting platform, text readability was much easier and you could see the letters more clearly.
9. Vimeo Does Not Identify Specific Ads
Vimeo operates as an ad-free video sharing and services platform and doesn’t support pre-roll, post-roll, or overlay ads. The platform has strict rules about ads. When brands want to promote, they need to implement the id into the video. However, if the ads in a particular video are irritating or misleading, moderators can ask the owner to make the video private.
But how does the platform make money, you would ask?
While other platforms make most of the money by serving their customers a load of ads, Vimeo generates revenue by offering different membership subscription plans to its creators.
10. Main Reasons Why People Decide To Choose Vimeo Over YouTube
YouTube may be the big dog but Vimeo while on a smaller scale has some main advantages over YouTube.
Not all creators want their content to be seen by the public. YouTube doesn’t have that full privacy setting. There are some restrictions to its privacy control. It is regarded as not an ideal platform for hosting private videos.
Vimeo on the other hand is better. Vimeo allows creators to protect their videos with a password. This setting allows you to forward your videos to only people you want to view your videos and are given the password.
With YouTube, you get paid a percentage from ads displayed on your videos. But you first need to accumulate at least 10K views from your channel before you can qualify to join the program.
But you can consider Vimeo as your own version of Netflix as you are allowed to sell your videos directly to viewers whether you’re a new user or not. You only need to sign up as a Vimeo Pro account user to get this opportunity.
- Community Engagement
Vimeo may have a small audience compare to YouTube but for someone looking for helpful feedback from fellow filmmakers, Vimeo is the best platform for that.
Unlike the massive audience on YouTube consisting of both teens and adults, the condensed community of Vimeo makes your videos easily seen and you get constructive feedback from mature minds.
While others might think that Vimeo is becoming less popular, the truth is the opposite.
With 240 million (and growing) active monthly users, there’s a huge pool of consumers to engage with.
Plus, the community is unique.
Vimeo is a platform mainly aimed at creators and artists. It attracts users by having a different monetization system, excellent video quality and fewer ads than other platforms.
We’re hoping that these statistics and facts have helped explain why you should consider using Vimeo and given you some ideas of what to do on the platform next.
Summary: Vimeo Statistics And Facts
Here’s a summary of the Vimeo statistics you need to know in 2021:
- There are more than 175 million registered members on Vimeo worldwide.
- Vimeo connects more than 60 million video creators.
- Users from more than 150 countries are using Vimeo.
- In 2021, there are more than 1.5 million members that are using Vimeo premium video creation tools.
- Patreon is Vimeo’s top referring site with a referral user percentage of 8.34%.
- There are 9 million instant Vimeo app installs that helped to boost user session duration by 130%.
- Vimeo is older than Youtube and was launched a few months earlier.
- Videos on Vimeo are better quality than on Youtube.
- Vimeo operates as an ad-free video sharing and services platform and doesn’t support pre-roll, post-roll, or overlay ads.
- Users often prefer Vimeo over YouTube because of more valuable privacy control, monetization and community engagement.
- Vimeo.com Analytics – Market Share Traffic Stats & Ranking – SimilarWeb
- Fastly: Building a high-quality video delivery service for Vimeo – Google Cloud
- Vimeo Help Center
- Vimeo increases session duration by 130% with instant apps – Android Developers – Google
- How and Why to Send Vimeo Ad Traffic to Your Landing Pages – Instapage
- Global Vimeo subscriber count 2021 – Statista